Teacher in Charge: Mr D. Pitt
WHAT THE COURSE WILL COVER:
The course prepares students for further studies in all areas of Performance, Aural Skills, Theory and Composition, Music Technology and Music History.
METHODS OF LEARNING:
• Practical work on instruments through class band and individual performance.
• Music Theory & Aural Skill development.
• Music History & Context
• Composition using Sibelius and other computer based programmes.
• Extracurricular groups, tours, festivals, competitions and trips.
• Performance opportunities within school and also at local, national, and international levels.
• Recording opportunities
WHERE DOES THE SUBJECT LEAD?
Music can be taken at all levels of the school. Year 10 Music Option is a direct preparation for Year 11 Music / NCEA Level 1.
• Music teaching (instrumental and classroom)
• Performing (solo or group)
• Music publishing
• TV and Radio music
• Music Management
• Audio Engineering
It is not a prerequisite to be learning an instrument in order to take Year 10 Music. However, there are many opportunities for students to learn through the Papanui High School Music Itinerant Teaching Scheme, and students intending to continue Music into Year 11 are strongly encouraged to take advantage of this.