SPORT PERFORMANCE and LEADERSHIP 22S - Semester 2
Teacher in Charge: Mr P. Peawini
This Sport Performance and Leadership semester covers theory and practical standards relating to:
1. Cardiovascular Machines - demonstrate, instruct, monitor and ensure the safe and correct use of cardiovascular equipment (treadmill, bike and rowing machine) in a gym.
2. Anatomy - identify bones, muscles, joints and movements in the body; identify gym equipment that targets each muscle group and the correct body position and movement for this equipment.
3. Teaching Ultimate Frisbee - explain the basic skills and rules at a beginner level for Ultimate Frisbee.
All assessments are Unit Standards and are internally assessed.
Students who complete this course can move into tertiary study at the New Zealand Institute of Sport or Ara Institute of Canterbury and careers within the sport, recreation and fitness industry. These could include but are not limited to fitness instruction, personal trainer, gym instruction, after school and holiday programs, coaching and Armed Services.
Recommended Prior Learning
• Reasonable attainment of Level 1 NCEA credits is recommended.
• Taking PED11F is an advantage but not essential.
• Involvement in school or club sport an advantage.
• Commitment to the demands of this course inside and outside of school hours.
Total Credits Available: 9 credits.
Internally Assessed Credits: 9 credits.