Year 10 Food & Nutrition - Half Year
Teacher in Charge: Ms T. Williams
WHAT THE COURSE WILL COVER:
This course develops students’ awareness of the important link between food, health and well-being and the importance of safe food handling. This course also allows students to develop practical cooking skills to create nutritious food.
- Introduction to Nutrition
- The importance of fibre in the diet
- Ultra-processed vs semi-processed foods
- Gut microbes and digestion
METHODS OF LEARNING:
This programme will be facilitated using a range of teaching and learning techniques, in practical and theory learning environments. Students will be encouraged to reflect upon current eating patterns and look for ways to make improvements for both themselves and their family and the wider community.
WHERE DOES THE SUBJECT LEAD?
Food & Nutrition leads on to several NCEA Level 1, 2 and 3 courses:
- Year 11-13 Food & Nutrition (FNU31F is an approved subject for University Entrance)
- Year 11-13 Catering & Hospitality
- Year 12 Childcare
Contributions and Equipment/Stationery
Food and Nutrition contribution - $45.00
Recommended Prior Learning