Year 10 Outdoor Education - Half Year
Teacher in Charge: Mr P. Washbourn
Outdoor Education will give you experiences and skills to enjoy New Zealand’s unique outdoor environments.
WHAT THE COURSE WILL COVER:
- 'Our place' and the natural world around us
- Participation in trust activities, adventure-based learning and Team-building games.
- Managing self and others in the outdoors
- Clothing for the outdoor environment.
- Introduction to risk management and trip planning.
- Cooking in the outdoors.
- Introduction to rock climbing and abseiling.
- Caving experience at Cave Stream.
- Learning about our unique outdoor environments.
- Nature study in an outdoor environment.
- Achievement of success via realistic challenges within the outdoor environment.
- Sustainability concepts.
METHODS OF LEARNING:
- In-class learning on outdoor concepts.
- Whole class, co-operative and practical learning experiences.
- Class participation in a range of outdoor pursuits.
- A three-day camping and outdoor experience to Craigieburn Forest Park.
- A trip to a local climbing wall.
- environmental education field trips
- Critical action for sustainability .
Contributions and Equipment/Stationery
Outdoor Education Camp – $70.00
Rock Climbing – $25.00
Low Ropes Course – $20.00
Materials & Field Trip (Riccarton Bush) – $10.00
Recommended Prior Learning